06 April 2013

F is for Fear

I could tell that we were both in fear of the idea of never returning to our homes. "Where are you from?"
I wanted to calm the both of us down and plan out a way to help us get home.

"It's a planet called Turing. We're scientists, and we simply make things to help other planets, because we believe in the betterment of all."

He sits in the chair in front of me. "The last famous Turing to visit Earth was Alan Turing." He smirks at me, as if he is waiting for disbelief. I give it to him, because I can't believe what I'm hearing. "You're pulling my leg! You're the color of paper. And you have four arms!"

He laughs at me. "Do you really believe that we would send a Turing to Earth looking like me? For heaven's sake! We're able to shift shape and blend in! That's the first thing my planet figured out!" I shake my head in awe. "So your name is Cyrano Turing, correct? Everyone has the last name of Turing on your planet?" He nods.

"Okay."

I can't continue asking questions, my head hurts. "We need to make a plan to get us both back to our homes. So let's start from the beginning  When you first disappeared from...Turing, you wound up in a ship that brought you to Mars, and you haven't been able to escape. I woke up on Mars, right beside your ship."

He nods again. "You're funny, trying to make a plan."

"Well I don't see you trying anything!" I snap.

He is shocked for a split second, but he covers it up with another one of his smirks. "Well. By now I would think that the answer is obvious. Mars needs help. And for some reason, you and I are the only ones who can fix the problem."

It's my turn to laugh.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Alan Turing, unrecognized extraterrestrial! I love it! That is such a cool, fun, totally expected little twist in the story.

    And I'm not surprised you're gunning for a career in the sciences, because anyone reading this story could tell in a hot minute how much you enjoy knowing things, and kneading them into fiction for other people to find and savor. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monica,
    Good to drop by
    nice post, as Tex said, i fully agree with her,
    Well written piece.
    Keep writing
    Keep inform
    Good Wishes
    Keep in touch
    I am
    Philip @ Philipscom
    An ambassador to A to Z Challenge @ Tina's Life is Good
    And My Bio-blog

    ReplyDelete