01 April 2013

A is for Alarm

Every day my alarm clock goes off without fail, and every day I wake and enter my zombie-like state until my routine cup of coffee. But, the day that I forget to set my alarm, the most magical thing in the world happens, and I couldn't have been less prepared.

Earlier that night I had stayed up, studying for my physics midterm that wasn't until a week later. And honestly I was a bit fed up with forces and Newton and all of his laws. I had decided I most definitely was not going to school in the morning. I abandoned my physics book on my desk, and dumped the papers and charts I had spread out on my bed onto the floor.

I slept well into noon, and before I opened my eyes, everything felt normal. But when I opened my eyes, I wasn't in a place that was even remotely Lisle. Or Earth for that matter. Everything that was in my room had somehow magically been transported to a different world. I rolled out of bed in my ruffled day old clothes that I didn't change out of last night and felt the smooth sand between my toes. It was red... and the color of.. wait. Mars! I'm on Mars! I started panicking and asking for help.

Out of nowhere a person appears. Or what looked like a person. This figure in front of me possessed four arms. Instead of attempting to calm me down, it begins pacing and ruffling its hair.

 "Calm down, will you?! Such a fuss you're making. My god! You would think something is eating you."

I close my mouth and stare at this stranger who is acting like this is a perfectly normal occurrence. "Who..wha-Who are you?" I ask.

The strange figure turns around and smirks at me.
"Ah, but the correct question is, how did you get here?"

I can do nothing but look confused.

17 comments:

  1. and then what happened? Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it continues tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting ... I hope you'll continue... I am doing the A-Z challenge too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, what happens next? I admire a writer who knows how to motivate the reader to come back for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And come back tomorrow and see! :)

      Delete
  4. Ack, I think my comment was eaten:(
    Thanks for this Monica; I'm looking forward to finding out more x
    I'm blogging on my business blog over at gloucestershirewebdesigns.co.uk on much more mundane stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to check it out! And thank you! There's more tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Oooh interesting...will you post the next instalment tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on doing it A through Z! However I may run out of ideas and have to change something up. But yes, there is a new part of this story tomorrow :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, wow - what a fun idea for a post series! I haven't seen anyone make one continuous story out of it yet. I love this beginning (full frontal sci-fi/fantasy is my favorite) and will be back tomorrow for the next thrilling installment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It means a lot. And I also figured someone had done this before and I wasn't so original! But gosh, I hope my post is as good tomorrow, wouldn't want to disappoint!

      Delete
  7. Wow, great work! Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete